To protect the critically endangered Black-faced Spoonbill (Platalea minor) and its habitat throughout its flyway by promoting alternative economic development and long-term sustainability of the ecosystems and local communities.
- Our Winter 2022 newsletter is out! Check out the latest issue of Spoonbills Speak. You can also download past issues from our Spoonbills Speak page.
- The Spring 2021 issue of Earth Island Journal featured an article by SAVE Executive Committee members Fiona Cundy, Randy Hester, and Marcia McNally: “Spike in Birdwatching is a Conservation Boon”.
- Another guest author has provided an update for the SAVE Blog: Mayu from Team SPOON in Japan, who is visiting Taiwan for several months and helped count the local Black-faced Spoonbills and other birds in two censuses in January 2021.
- We had a guest author for the SAVE Blog: a US Army helicopter pilot who has been stationed in South Korea since 2015 and is also an avid bird-watcher. In 2019, he wrote about the Hwaseong Wetlands, which provide a stopover home to tens of thousands of migratory birds each year, including the Black-faced Spoonbill and other endangered species.
- Our colleagues in Taiwan have produced a compelling 9-minute video about Taiwan’s “conflict of greens”, unfolding in the wetlands of the southwestern coast, where the government is building industrial-scale solar farms on former saltpans and fishponds, despite scientific evidence that these places support internationally important populations of Black-faced Spoonbills and other species, and support traditional fishing jobs.
Please click on the following links or the menu above to navigate our site:
- About: Read about SAVE’s mission, actions, and history, and who we are.
- Research: Learn more about the Black-faced Spoonbill, and access SAVE’s research and resources on the endangered bird.
- SAVE in Action: Read about SAVE’s past and current campaigns.
- Media: Access our media room to download SAVE’s newsletters, official press-kit, presentations and files, and related press coverage.
- Get Involved: Learn how you can get involved with our campaigns, donate to support our work, or contact us.
- Blog: Read news posts by SAVE members or our allies along the flyway.
Click here to join SAVE on Facebook!